"Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." Exodus 20:12

Like most, recollections of my daddy fill my thoughts. My Daddy passed away in March 2003 at the young age of 71 years old after a long hard battle with cancer. He was the youngest of five brothers and sisters and most likely the biggest handful of mischief! I miss him terribly. I still find myself picking up the phone to call him to tell him about this or that... or to ask his advice. You could always go to daddy.... with anything. He was always good about lending an ear when you needed someone to talk to and a shoulder when you needed one to cry on. As children, he gently guided us if we got a little off track. Sometimes with a firm hand but always with a loving heart. As young adults he allowed us to learn from our mistakes, but stayed close at hand just in case. He loved his family and worked hard to provide us with the things that we needed, working long, hard hours. As us children got older and were out and about he didn't rest until he made sure we were all home and safe no matter how early in the wee hours of the morning he had to be at work. He loved home cooked meals and family gatherings. My sister and I laugh at memories of how he just how much he loved to eat! Especially when it came to family gatherings. He had to try a little of this and a little of that, making sure that he tasted a little of all so as to not offend the cooking efforts of all the ladies. He was and is loved and he is missed. I wish he were here today so that I could fix him a big southern home cooked meal and relish in his enjoyment. Daddy, you are loved and will always be in our hearts....
2 comments:
I dont think you ever stop missing them,lost my dad in 2005 on the first day of spring after a long horrible battle with cancer so i know how you feel.Your dad too sounds like a gem.
I am sorry you lost someone so precious to you too. It is tough isn't it? Yes, he was a gem and we miss him so much! Though you never forget them or quit missing them, I hope God will bring you and your family peace. Barbara
PS - Is that cute little girl a picture of you when you were a little girl? My mom has a picture of me when I was little that I am trying to get from her so I can upload it to my blog. I was a girly girl then too!
Post a Comment