Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day One of Three Day Getaway to the Mountains

Day One - Blueridge Scenic Railway




Last Sunday my husband, grandson & I headed to north Georgia for a few days getaway. There is a little town up north called Blueridge and it is just a hop, skip and jump from the Georgia, North Carolina, & Tennessee line. Blueridge was named for the blue haze that surrounds the beautiful mountains located there. The town's original name was Allentown and was incorporated in 1887 after the construction of the railroad known as the Marietta & North Georgia Railroad. It is known as the antique capital of Northwest Georgia.
We left out on our little trip on Sunday morning hoping that we would make the drive in time to take our grandson on a little train ride on the Blueridge Railway.

My grandson loves trains as do most three year old little boys. We were looking forward to his excitement of being able to ride the train. And oh my goodness, was he excited! I don't think that he was quiet for one single minute on that train ride! And what was so funny was that when the train ride was over he asked me if he could talk now.... Everyone nearby bursted out in laughter!
The Blueridge Railway was formerly the Marietta & North Georgia Railway. It's historic depot was built in 1905 in downtown Blueridge. There you can take a three and a half hour trip along the beautiful Toccoa River in the Chattahoochee National Forest



















and continuing on to a one and a half layover in quaint old towns called McCaysville, Georgia
and Copperhill, Tennessee.









Not too much to do there. It was a really small little town with few shops, but Landon found some great 50's hand painted storefront signage on one of the local diners and wanted his picture taken all along the way!

While walking the town we found on one of the street corner there is actually a blue dash line that shows you that when you stand on one side of the dotted

line you are in Georgia and on the other side of the dotted line you are standing in Tennessee.
Not much else that day. Dinner and to the hotel to rest. Landon was in awe of this huge American flag on the property where we stayed. So much so that I had to take a picture everytime we came or went.




And each time we passed near it he from street side, he would recognize it as the landmark of where we were staying.
Blueridge has some of the most beautiful views that I have seen in our state. I was so hoping for beautiful fall color, but that most likely will not happen for a few more weeks. It was still a beautiful ride and visit. And a trip that my grandson will most likely long remember.
Thanks for bearing with me along my little slow paced trip! Day two....the little town of Blueridge and a visit with my dear friend.
Barbara






















































































































2 comments:

Mom of 2 Roses said...

What a fun trip! Landon obviously had a grand time. So you were way down yonder on the Chattahoochee! I love that song, I couldn't help myself! Glad you are back!

Laurie

Vintage Bunny said...

I am so jealous,I have always wanted to this trip by rail.We have ridden on the bike though.
Great pictures