Friday, July 20, 2007

My First Completed Pair of Knit Socks! YEAH!

"Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers." Proverbs 17:6

One of my hobbies is my recently acquired passion for knitting. I have crocheted since my early teenage years and have always wanted to learn to knit. I didn't know anyone who knew how. I bought books and tried to I did teach myself but I just couldn't get it. Finally, last fall I bought a DVD called "The Art of Knitting" and it finally clicked! I guess I am just a visual learner! I am so happy that I bought that DVD! Well since then I knit almost daily. Finally I tackled my first pair of socks. They are just a basic sock. And not perfect, but I felt like I had really accomplished something big! I learned the Socks on Circular Needles method. Didn't want to deal with all of those DPN's. Nenah Galati has a great DVD at Knitting Corner. I bought the "Sock I: How to Knit Socks on Two Circular Needles". Great DVD. I highly recommend it for anyone trying to learn to knit socks! She does an exceptional job in teaching. She has more DVD's that I plan on getting too! FairIsle knitting and Two Socks on Two Circular needles to name a few! While I was knitting these socks my precious soon to be three year old grand son asked me if I was going to knit him a pair too. Well, you know the answer to that one!


And you know that my sweet little grand daughter needs a pair too! These were made with Tofutsie yarn.

And a pair for Nana too! We have to match you know! They are sooooooo soft! They are made of superwash wool, soysilk, cotton and Chitin. Chitin, by the way, is made from shrimp and crab shells! Suppose to have antibacterial qualities! Doesn't seem like they would be soft does it? But they are!

I can't believe all of the great yarns available today! Some yarns are made of bamboo too! And yes bamboo yarn is also very silky soft! Amazing!

If you have never knit before I hope you give knitting a try! Frustrating til you learn but very relaxing once you do learn. I am very happy that I finally got it!

6 comments:

Michele said...

Hello Barbara, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I was reading all your favorit things, if I didn't know that you wrote that I would swear I wrote them. We love all the same things :) Your socks look great. I have tried the knitting thing but to many drop stitches.
Michele

Mom of 2 Roses said...

You did a fanatastic job!! Give yourself a pat on the back!!

Laurie (your shabby friend)

Anonymous said...

Great job on the socks, make mine pink and green lol.
What kind of material are the festive chili napkin holders made out of?

Thanks, :) Bren

http://benzy55.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Hi Brenda! Thank you for stopping by my blog! Come back soon! Now I had a feeling that you would want some pink in your socks! LOL! I just had to comment on the great looking salsa and those beautiful tomatoes that you have on your blog! You had a busy day!!! Looks great! To answer your question about the chili peppet napkin rings, they are some sort of ceramic or something like that... not sure exactly, but the are a breakable material of some sort.
I'll be back to visit you blog soon! Love your blog!
Barbara

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hey, have you been knitting instead of refinishing that grand tea cart! I tried to knit years ago, but couldn't!

Thanks for all the comments on my blog!

Katherine

Deanna said...

Hi Barbara, thanks for looking at my blog. I really love your blog. It's like entering a sweet pink world.

I'm on prettychic as well but I haven't visited recently. I love the good chat that goes on in there. Lot's of great ideas too!