Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Needle Felting


Have you ever tried needle felting? I have just been having the best time with needle felting! Here's one of my newest pieces! This one is a heart shaped needle felted brooch. For those of you who have never experienced needle felting I hope you will give it a try! It's a lot of fun! To make this brooch, I took 100% wool roving that I laid out layers in alternating horizontal & perpendicular layers. You take several layers of the wool roving and begin sticking and poking it with barbed needle felting needles and the little barbs sort of marry the fibers together. Poke and stick long enough and you get felt! Next....See the little purple locks up above the beaded flowers? Those are locks from the sheep. I added those on to the heart with the felting needle and left them loose up at the top so that it gave the piece a little dimension. Next I embroidered the beads in the shapes of two flowers and hand embroidered the blanket stitches around the edge of the heart and the leaves and stem of the flowers. Add a pin back and you have a nice brooch for your coat, sweater, scarf, purse, shawl, wrap, hat or tote.
Well, there you are! You should now be able to tackle that little project on your own! There are lots of methods of making felt. But this was the method that I used for this project. It's great fun and I think all that sticking and poking sort of helps with frustrations! LOL!
It's a lot of fun! Hope you will give it a try! But, if you don't want to make one and would rather buy one, just so happens I will be making up lots of them and have the featured one currently available in my shop! Click here!
Lots of Love!
Barbara

5 comments:

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Barbara, your felted brooch is sooo lovely, I can't wait to see more! Kathy

Unknown said...

Hi, Barbara! Just wanted to return the visit and tell you that I'd be delighted to be linked from your blog and I'll add you to mine, too! You have some really great stuff here! I LOVE the vintage sweater clip!

Joy Jones said...

Hi Barbara! Your brooch is DARLING!!! I can't believe you made "felt". It sounds like a really neat project. Thanks for sharing your ideas..and talent! ~ xo ~ Joy

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of work! You did a great job! I'm off to check out your Etsy shop!

Anonymous said...

That is darling Barbara. One of these days, I'm going to unleash myself from my sewing machine and try felting...

LuAnn