
Days of innocence. Playing doctor with your sweet little baby doll. One of my favorite things to do when I was a little girl. I still remember the smell of a new baby doll. I don't think I'll ever forget. I can remember that one time my Momma and Daddy surprised me with a larger than life sized doll. I was only around three or four years old. I remember that she was much taller than I was and she was a "walking" doll that I lovingly named Lucy. I remember holding Lucy's hand and standing beside her as we walked along and having to look up to her. And though I remember her quite tenderly, I must have been quite rough with her because I remember that her head had to be taped onto her neck many, many times. After a while she was pretty ragged looking, but it didn't matter to me. I loved her. I remember that my Momma and Daddy wanted to get rid of her because she was quite pitiful looking and of course I wanted to take her everywhere with me. They tried to persuade me by offering to buy me a new dolly. But I wasn't interested in getting rid of Lucy. One morning I woke and could not find Lucy anywhere. I cried and cried and looked and looked and looked some more for her. Having forgotten that Lucy had made a trip outside, my Mom had opened the back door to let in some fresh air and as I was looking out the door, I saw Lucy in the trash and went running outside to get her. My Mother tried to explain that Lucy had seen her better days and that she and Daddy were going to buy me a new dolly. I just would not have it. I wanted my Lucy. Reluctantly my Mom let her come back inside. I remember rescueing Lucy from the trash many, many times. Finally she was indeed gone. I don't remember how or when, only that she was gone. And I don't remember the doll that took Lucy's place, but I do still remember my Lucy.
6 comments:
Oh...Poor Lucy!! Isn't it amazing.. a child just sees what they love. They don't see the scars & tatters & wear. I wish adults could be like that. Wouldn't life be better??
Hope you have a great weekend!
Love,
Marilyn
Oh, my goodness gracious, Barb.....each tag gets prettier than the last!!!
That made me cry, i remember my Helen the same way she was a big walking doll i treasured,One day i gave her away to the little gorl across the street whom i felt so sorry for as i thought they were very poor and i knew i was lucky.Turns out they were not poor at all they had much more money than us but lived so filthy and dirty thats why i thought them poor.I missed my Helen very much but was glad my friend had something nice,You never forget your favourite doll.
What a sweet post! My mom threw away my stuff too, I will never understand that. I did a 180 and kept all my girl's stuff for them. Now, it is up to them to keep or throw away. I guess that is what happens when your stuff just "disappears" when you are a kid. It sticks with you!
What a sad thing.. I remember my Thumbalina doll. I had her for years.. my sister was gathering up toys for a thing at school she and her friends were doing.. She told me to put what toys i did not want in a pile, and my Thumbalina doll was laying on my pillow, one of her friends must have picked it up by mistake.. But she was gone forever.. I still love dolls, and have a few.. Thanks for stopping in at my blog for Friday show and tell. Sheila
Your tags are stunning!
Cerri xoxo
Post a Comment